Rebecca Katz, MS
I’ve spent more than a decade motivating people to eat well.
My primary tool has been flavor.
As a consultant, speaker, teacher and chef, Rebecca works closely with patients, physicians, nurses, and wellness professionals to include the powerful tools of flavor and nutrition in their medical arsenal, and with hotel kitchens and events to deliver healthy food with the taste their customers love.
A nationally-recognized culinary translator and expert on the role of food in supporting optimal health, Rebecca has a Masters of Science degree in Health and Nutrition Education, and received her culinary training from New York’s Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts.
She is the founder and director of the Healing Kitchens Institute at Commonweal, which is dedicated to transforming lives through nutritional science and culinary alchemy.
Rebecca is the author of The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying Big Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top-16 Age Busting Power Foods (Ten Speed Press, coming February, 2013) along with the award-winning cookbook The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Beyond (Ten Speed Press, 2009), and One Bite at a Time: Nourishing Recipes for Cancer Survivors and their Friends (Second Edition).
A myriad of food related experiences, including a sojourn to Italy, where she studied Mediterranean cuisine with chefs and signoras from Florence to Sicily, shaped Rebecca’s philosophy that health-supportive food must taste great in order to be nourishing and healing.
Awards & affiliations:
- IACP (International Association of Culinary Professionals) 2011 Food Writing Award Winner for The Cancer Fighting Kitchen in two categories: Best Health Book and People’s Choice
- Program Director, Healing Kitchens Institute at Commonweal, a nonprofit environmental health & research institute in Bolinas, CA
- Executive Chef & Faculty, Food As Medicine, The Center for Mind-Body Medicine’s renowned professional training in medical nutrition therapy
- Faculty, Nutrition & Health, Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine’s premiere nutrition conference for health professionals co-directed by Andrew Weill, MD
- Speaker at top US medical centers including the University of California, San Francisco’s Osher Center for Integrative Medicine; Stanford University’s Cancer Institute; and Johns Hopkins Medicine.